The island resort of Coronado gets its nickname “Crown City” from the translation of its Spanish name meaning “the crowned one”. It has been voted as the best beach in the U.S. by “Doctor Beach”, professor Leatherman of Florida University.
Coronado is a perfect place for a romantic honeymoon or a family getaway.
Connected to the mainland by the majestic Coronado Bridge, it is well accessible while having the feel of an Island resort.
How to get to there
For tourists who use an own or rented car, it is a short trip from downtown San Diego to Coronado Bridge along the no. 5 freeway.
There are also a number of public transport options:
- Two bus routes operate from San Diego
- A ferry (wheelchair-friendly)
- As well as taxi cabs and a water taxi.
The area is bicycle friendly, as this mode of transport very popular on the island, with over 15 mi of bicycle lanes. Additionally, a number bicycle rentals available to the tourists.
It is also possible to hire even golf cart.
The 1.5 mi beachfront is great for pedestrians and it’s easy to get around.
Services on the beach
- There are restroom and shower facilities at most beaches
- Lifeguards are on duty seasonally depending on the weather conditions
- Hotel Del Coronado offers sand chairs, sun loungers, umbrellas, and luxury beach beds for hire
- Free parking slots are on Ocean Boulevard and at Ferry Landing Marketplace
Things to do
The locals mostly earn a living from the tourist trade, so there is plenty of activities for families, couples, or those traveling solo. Apart from the beaches, the town also has a number of parks — many with cycling routes.
Some other attractions and things to do are:
- Skate park
- Lambs Player’s Theater
- Historical tours
- Kayak tours, and plenty more.
Hotels near the beach
The town is famous for the historic Hotel Del Coronado, setting for the 1958 Marilyn Monroe film “Some Like it Hot”. There are however more affordable hotels, B&B’s, and even a few hostels for young budget travelers.
Some other hotels in the town are:
Coronado Beach Resort (3 stars)
El Rancho Motel (2 stars)
Beach Village at The Del (4 stars)
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
El Cordova Hotel
- Disabled Access
- Car Parking